Boost Your Immunity the Right Way
Immunity boosting is a great way to help your immune system work properly if it's weak. However, if you go too overboard, then it can be harmful as well.
What is Immunity?
Before jumping to immunity boosting, we should know what immunity is. Immunity is our body’s natural defense system that fights against invading microorganisms. Is immunity-boosting a myth or fact?
The term immunity-boosting received limelight after the pandemic. Instead of looking into facts, people find it convenient to get manipulated by the influence of gimmicks. As a matter of fact, we do not need immunity boosters because an overactive immune system gives birth to autoimmune diseases such as psoriasis, eczema, hyperactive thyroid, Hashimoto’s disease and many others. Therefore, we need our immune system to just work properly.
How to Maintain an Immune System?
To make sure that your immune system is working properly, adopt the following things:
- Eat a well-balanced diet that includes meals from a variety of food groups such as fruits, vegetables, milk, etc.
- Incorporate omega-3 in your diet. Omega-3 reduces inflammation and increases the body’s ability to fight foreign invaders. Rich food sources of omega-3 include flaxseed, walnut, sunflower seeds.
- Eat at least 2 to 3 servings of fruits. Fruits are a rich source of fiber, vitamins and minerals.
- Eat at least 4 servings of vegetables. They are also a good source of vitamins, minerals, and fiber.
- Eat fish twice a week. Fish is a good source of linolenic acid, iron, vitamin D, and selenium.
- Eat foods rich in anti-oxidant like Vitamin E and C. Antioxidants reduce oxidative stress and inflammation and enhance the body’s capacity to fight infections. Food sources of vitamin E & C include sunflower seeds, orange, lemon, chilies, pepper, etc.
What is the Role of Exercise in Boosting Immunity?
According to World Health Organization adults should perform a physical activity for at least 150 minutes per week. Physical activity of any sort improves blood circulation in the body. It improves the body’s cognitive functioning and recognition of foreign invaders.
For performing physical activity, you don’t need particularly to go to a gym. You can easily perform at home. Some examples of physical activities that can easily be performed at home include stair climbing, rope jumping, squats, lunges, etc.
Can Green Tea Boost Immunity?
Green tea contains polyphenols, flavanols, antioxidants, etc. All these nutrients aid in reducing stress.
When stress is reduced, it ultimately helps in good functioning of the body and its system. Till today, no research claims that green tea is an immunity booster. It has its benefits but to fight infections our immune system doesn’t need to be boosted. It should just work properly.
By Tahreem Butt
She is a qualified Nutritionist and Dietitian. Tahreem has completed her M.Phil from Kinnaird College for Women. She is the Founder of Healthy Startings and also practices at Ittefaq Hospital and Children’s Hospital, Lahore.
Runway Pakistan is a complete solution provider for all your marketing communications related requirements. The ultimate hub of infotainment – Runway composes of all the key offerings – Monthly Print Magazine, Digital Magazine, Media Production, Creative Agency, PR Agency, and Marketing Consultancy that a brand needs to be seen, heard, and known!
Like and follow our Facebook page: